DANCE BRIDGES: THE ORGANIZATION
‘We connect lives through dance’
After the inaugural edition of the Festival in August 2015, in preparation for the second edition in 2017, Dance Bridges Festival underwent a change in the organizational structure, expanding local & international partnerships and collaborations. While Dance Alliance Kolkata and the international network of World Dance Alliance remain a supporting network, Dance Bridges Festival, now functions as an independent organization- Dance Bridges.
It is managed by Founder Director, Vanessa Maria Mirza (Vanessa Mirza Creations) in consultation with Van Huynh Company (UK) and Anarchy Dance Theatre (Taiwan) who are a part of the International Artistic & Programming Committee. The Festival also has an International Advisory Board from dance, research and festival contexts & Organizational Partners & Sponsors (local cultural and dance institutions, international diplomatic missions and business enterprises).
We are an international non-profit organisation believing in excellence, inclusivity, equality, diversity and the power of community; building alliances through a cutting edge biennale international dance festival and associated events; aiming to empower local communities to foster even greater creativity in Kolkata and beyond.
An international arts organisation well known for an exciting dance Festival, a thriving arts space and residency program, new commissions, with strong touring networks for dance and hosting events for the promotion of dance and contemporary culture in Kolkata and internationally.
What we do
- A 5-8 day Festival in August every two years in Kolkata
- Film Screenings
- Artist Talks
- Special Projects
- Satellite International Events
- Makes participation inclusive and accessible to new audiences and people of all socio-economic backgrounds by running events on a non-profit basis
- Encourages and empowers young dancers in their pursuit of a professional career
- Nurtures local and international talent through the residency project, internship training, workshops and opportunities of collaboration
- Imparts educative and fun experiences for everyone to encounter dance through various mediums and from different perspectives
- Builds long term relationships across cultures to enable ambitious artistic exchanges
- Enables the international community to experience the history, culture and creative atmosphere of a city like Kolkata and other places in India
- Enables job creation in the dance and performing arts sector to supporting artists and production team members involved in festival events.